Hard water is tough on your hair, skin, tools and your pocket. Water softeners are there to annihilate this problem. This will extend the life of boilers, heaters and eradicate rusting.
Soft water helps in:
- Easy cleaning
- No stains on tiles and tubs
- Less water consumption
- Smooth hair and clear skin
- Reduced energy bills
- Increased Lifespan of Appliances
- Bright clothes
Water Softener Mechanism:
People misconceive that salts purify water but it is the dense resin bed which does the job. They filter chemicals and minerals from hard water. Salts are utilized during the regeneration cycle for a continuous process.
In brief, this is what water softeners do:
- Hard water enters from the pipe and travels through the resin bed.
- Resin beads attract impurities and ion exchange process takes place.
- Now soft water is supplied to the entire home.
The Regeneration Process:
Water softener regeneration is when water present in the pipe is recirculated. It not necessarily installed in every water softener but it has many benefits attached to it.
There are many hookups which are connected to the water supply of your home like ion exchange process. Water flow back is extended during the regeneration cycle via an extended water loop. This loop extends soft water flow via softener. It helps in preventing rust and impurities.
Sodium ions are exchanged with minerals of hard water i.e. calcium and magnesium. After sometime resin beads have to get rid of the minerals and get recharged. Here is where a regeneration cycle work begins:
- A strong salt solution is added to the softener. This solution is known as brine and stored in the brine tank.
- Brine flows through resin beads and collects the minerals that are collected through the water softening.
- This brine solution containing hard water flushes out from the drain pipe.
- Resin beads are now renewed and ready for the next process of water softening.
How long a Regeneration Cycle takes place?
The regeneration cycle usually takes 10 to 30 minutes for a set to complete. This depends on your piping system. Hence it is recommended to commence this course when water is not used at home, especially at night.
Water Softener Lifespan:
As per quality water softeners can last up to 20 years. For efficient working and optimal use, of proper maintenance is required.
Do you know water quality also affects the softening system? More minerals will use more salts and will situate pressure on the system and degradation will be early. This is vice versa if water is less hard. That is why it is recommended to conduct a water test before the installation.
Why Backwash Cycle is Imperative?
Backwash cycle is an important part of water softeners. This set helps in removing dirt and grime from the primary tank. This improves water flow and quality.
How to Manually Regenerate?
Your water softening machinery comes with knobs that can be turned to start the regeneration cycle. It depends on which model you have. Check before you install.
If you are missing a crucial step of regenerating then notice the signs like smelly water or color difference. This means pipe have impurities stick to it. Later issues may arise so to improve quality and remove contaminants then get it changed.